HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Harvested a doe tonight.... (updated w\pict.)
Old 09-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Buzz_boy

Default Harvested a doe tonight.... (updated w\pict.)

Well I didn' t see anything all weekend until tonight. My main stand I wanted to hunt I couldn' t cuz the wind wasn' t right. So I set up on a bean field with a water hole to my right. The wind was perfect and at 18:25 she showed up about 50 yards away. Shortly after that another doe came out. They finally worked there way towards me and wouldn' t you know it they cut into the woods to that watering hole. I had a good shot to it but my boots had mud on them and if I moved it feel through the stand, so every time she moved in the water I would move a little. Finally she turned broadside at about 15 yards and with my heart pounding I drew and she didn' t budge she just kept on eating the grass, zing I let the arrow fly,,,,,,,,,,thud right in the mud behind her. I was so excited I pulled the trigger way to early. She took off and I grunted a few times right away cuz the other doe was slowy walking off. Disgusted with myself I was ready to get down. Unknocked my arrow set the bow down and took my saftey harnest belt off and just about to step down I hear something walking in the beans. Sure enough it was the other doe coming right at me at about 40 yards. She was looking for the other doe non-stop and trying to wind scent. She ended up about 8 yards broadside of me but I couldn' t draw, then she turned to walk right under my tree so I drew and she jumped and like an idiot in the excitment I let the arrow go. Thank god it was a clean miss. [:' (] As soon as she jolted I grunted with my mouth as I was reaching for another arrow. She stopped at 25 yards away and started to head my way. At that time I all ready was at full draw and I told my self take a deep breathe relax and squeeze the trigger and follow through. As I was saying that in my head the arrow was in flight and made contact where I had my pin.... What a relief, she expired about 35 yards from the hit. I learned two lessons tonight. Relax when the shot comes and don' t take bad shots under the excitement. I was so glad I missed her when she jumped. Anyways I am excited to cook up the tender loins tomorrow.