HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 15 GO GO GADGET GOBBLERS
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 AM
dsconnell
Spike

Made it out Monday for the opener here in MI and the first spot we hunted we knew the birds were there and left it alone until the opener and when we got there in the AM we were setup perfect as the birds were roosted maybe 100 yards away through the timber and were hammering away so we set up and I waited until they came down to call and let out a few soft yelps and nothing.. Sparatically called off and on and when they finally gobbled they had went away from us and shock gobbled at a wood duck. then about 9 AM we wer still sitting there as it was a ridge with a ton of scratching so figured they will make there way over to us, I heard a hen or what I initially thought was a hen and so I called back and this went back and forth about 3-4 times before I determined it was another hunter hunting the adjacent property so the way things played out I am assuming he was in there calling before season and had called them birds up and got busted or something.. At any rate we moved to another property and get about 50 yards out of the truck and see a strutter in the power lines so we moved into position and started calling and smoked him within 15 minutes.. Unfortunately for us it was my buddies side he came into so he took the shot.. 9 5/8" beard, 7/8 and 1" spurs and about 21 lbs...

About an hour after that I spotted some birds moving through the timber and got into position and setup on them and started calling and had 3 jakes come in to under 5 yards and mean while there was a big bird making his way in and got to within about 55 yards and just needed to take about 10 more steps into this opening I ranged at just under 50 yards and he would have took some Hevi Shot to the side of the head but his 6th sense told him to wander back into the woods and he did but that is OK.. We are going to get back after him on Saturday morning so I will keep you guys posted!

Congrats to everyone that has tagged one so far!