HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Tom of the season
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Matchbook454
Fork Horn

Here's the story-

I was set up in a field by 4:45 a.m. and between 5:5 and 5:30 I started to hear birds gobbling. I called back and they would respond. Things were looking good and I probably heard around 30 gobbles as well as some hen talk. Around 6:20 I see 2 hens pitch into the field I was in and was actually suprised they were still in the roost at that tiem. Anyway, I called to them and nothing. About 30 min. later I notice 2 hens crossing to my right and then another. Behind the 3rd one I see just the top of a fan above a high spot in the field. I started calling and the tom immediately responded and worked to about 80-90 yards with one of the hens. He was on a knoll and I was on another with another knoll in between us. He could not see my decoys but was really fired up. I just couldn't get him to cross the knoll between us and come in. I stood there gobbling and strutting for at least 20 minutes. All of a sudden he just turns around and walks back towards where he came from. I'd call and he'd stop and strut briefly, but then continue towards the woods. I quit calling for a bit and then just gave him soft soft calls. About 20 minutes later I picked up my box call and gave it a few yelps and within 2 mintes he was coming down the edge of th woods with the hen close behind. As soon as he saw my decoys he gobbled, ran in and then it was all over for him!