HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Controlling yourself at that moment
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

typically, i am very good about keeping cool and just making the shot...even my first bow kill...i was so frustrated with the morning and had a buck slip by earlier when i see him, i just stood up, drew, and drilled him...

thats the key is not thinking about it...just DO IT..

this years bow buck though, it was my 7th hunt..ive yet to SEE a deer..havent seen a deer up close in almost a full year...i seen him coming through the saplings and he looked like a monster...(just because it was one of the first "decent" bucks ive had that close with a bow in my hands..90" deer) anyways, when i seen him, i stood up or was already standing..cant recall...but my right leg started twitching up and down uncontrollably..i dont know how he didnt hear my boot hitting off the stand..after i realized it was happening i had to actually LIFT my leg to stop it from hitting the stand...then i quit looking at him..took a couple breaths and went into "kill mode" as i call it...just completely focused on the shot and the moment..nothing else...i knew he was legal and knew i wasnt passing..so i went into kill mode..cleared my mind and when he went behind a tree i drew..when he stepped out i drilled him..

ive had people watch me..even my first deer ever..and tell me i control myself very well...after the shot, all bets are off..i might loose it..i was shaking 15mins after i killed my first bow kill so bad my buddy had to climb up and help me down lol...the guy i was with when i killed my first deer thought i was gunna pass out from breathing so hard...

but, ive killed a bit of game..and spend alot of time behind the trigger or bow...making the shot is pretty much 2nd nature to me...on good hunts, its hard for me to remember what happened because i wasnt thinking about it..i was just doing it..

im probably bit of a freak that i can go into such a mode..i dont know...i never thought about it till guys on forums asked about controlling it..then thought about how i do it...

ive been fortunent enough to see ALOT of deer in my days and ALOT of deer up close...i shot a deer in rifle season that i could honestly stabbed if i had a bayonet on my rifle...ive had bucks in small game and fall turkey pretty much lick my boots before i started bow hunting...

i still get the shakes and get a little nervous and stuff..but its typically not too bad...this year was the worst by far and alot of it was just because i havent seen a deer in almost a year...and i knew it was a good buck for me and that got me pretty pumped..