HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 10 The Final Roost
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 AM
dtk913
Fork Horn

It is almost here. I am going Sat. - Tues. I did get out with a buddy of mine from Minnesota on opening day here in Iowa (Monday). He has been coming down here for the last 6 years. He always gets a bird, but this year was a little different.

He went out in the morning, but the birds were not cooperating at all. We decided to get breakfast about 9:00 and then come back and head to the riverbottoms for a while. The route to town takes us by about 5000 acres of public land, so we always make sure we have our gear along. We were watching the fields and spotted a nice gobbler about 100 yards off the road and heading north. It was in a big CRP (grass) field with hills and some thick ditches.

We went about an 1/8 of a mile past him and used a ditch to work back towards him. We got within about 75 yards or so and then called him up the hill towards us. The whole ordeal only took about 10 minutes. It was a very fun hunt. I will try to get a pic or two posted.

I will heading down Sat afternoon and hopefully will have enough time to get out in the evening. I will give updates as it goes along.

Good luck to everyone else.

Dan
Attached Images   

Last edited by dtk913; 04-15-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures