HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 & hogs
Thread: 243 & hogs
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
cataraft
Spike

Agreed...
But it pisses me off when someone says that I lack basic hunting skills because I don't sit in a blind over a feeder shooting hogs in the head with a .22 hornet. That's not hunting, it's harvesting. The two shouldn't be confused. And there is nothing monster about a .30 cal bullet in a reasonable cartridge like the .30-.30, .308, .30-.06, .300 savage etc. among others. They all work extremely well and are IMHO the best choice under all conceivable conditions. In many cases with the proper bullet selection they will actually cause less damage to meat than 7mm and .277 bullets even when they hit bone. I'm not sure why because I'm not a physicist, but I think that it has to do with sectional density? Anyway in my experience they deflect less, punch straight through and if keep under 2900 fps or so do minimal damage especially at short ranges or where bone is incountered-- provided your using a bullet designed for cxp3 game. The real farce on this thread is that you have to have a bullet going over 3000 fps to have a real hunting gun and that is BS. What else do you suckers want to buy? You've been been had by them! Where is your check?

Last edited by cataraft; 04-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.