HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - huge mulie how do i kill it
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
wyomingtrapper
Typical Buck

I don't pretend to be a great mule deer hunter, but will throw my 2 cents worth in. What kind of country are you in? Open, timber, semi open? Unless you throw him off, he probably has somewhat of a pattern. If the country is open enough, set up with a spotting scope or good binoculars and watch what, where, and when he does what he does. Set up so your scent won't be a factor while you pattern him. He probably will have other bucks around and you will want to learn that as well. See if you can see where he travels from and to. Where is he feeding? Bedding? Do you stand a better chance of stalking him in his bed or setting up an ambush along a travel route? As you plan your attack, always be cognizant of the wind. He didn't become a 200 class buck by being careless. If he winds someone in his area or is blown out by a still hunter, the odds of seeing him again that year are slim. You don't think he can be too far from the stream, but a deer can cover a lot of ground between feeding and bedding...

While I've learned to find bigger bucks, I've yet to kill one, so I am not a sage. Just passing on what I've learned and what I've heard from others that are proven big buck getters.