HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 & hogs
Thread: 243 & hogs
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
cataraft
Spike

zrexpilot - Maybe in another 25 years you'll be using a .308? Experience learns you. I'm glad you put down the .243 it was the right choice in my opinion and you obviously felt a need for something bigger for some reason?

There is nothing unethical about shooting running animals if you have the skills to make the shot and I cannot think of a better animal to learn shooting skills on than a feral hog. I don't spray and pray, I hone my skills and abilities. As a result I hang hogs and eat them when I want and not just when they let me- that is what hunting is about. It is not target practice out there and no one should expect an animal to give them the perfect shot from a bench every time.

I thought this thread was about whether or not to use a .243 or a 30 cal. ? Which is the better choice? I say the .30 although I know there are at least 12 other cartridges between here and there that will work. So what?- that's not the question. I've done over 15 years of hunting with a .270 and it is an impressive caliber, I like it very much and I too have been very successful with it. But as I get older and more experienced I find that the .30 caliber bullet simply has done a better job for me and I have more confidence in its ability.