HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Youth Day a success
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 02:47 PM
sproket
Spike

20 Gauge Turkey Loads $6.97
Turkey Call $8.97
Turkey Decoy $38.97
Watching your 9 year old Daughter on her first Turkey hunt play (peek-a-boo) with a 20+lbs Gobbler at 6 feet Priceless.
I took my 9 year old Daughter on her first Turkey hunt Saturday. We creeped in to a hot spot I know where Turkeys roost and set up. Just before dawn the woods came to life three toms gobbled 40 yards from us. My little girl was grinning from ear to ear. And I thought this is going to happen she is going to get one. I told her it won't be long they will down out of the trees. When daylight came we could see the turkeys in the trees. Then they started flying down. We looked up the hill to see them come down but they never came. I told her we have to go there heading up to the next field. We hurried up to the next field to get ahead of them and just made it in time to get down. We could hear them just over the edge. She held her gun up where the sound was at and looked down the barrel. I had my hand on her back I could feel her shake and feel her heart pounding in her back. I pulled back her hammer.And she waited. About maybe 30 seconds when she got antsey and raised her head up at the same split second the Gobbler popped his head up at 6 feet away. The big Tom just took off down the hill. I told her not to worry about it. It happens to all of us. We have all been busted before. She started laughing she was amazed at how close he was. Then she said for me not to worry. We would get one next time. I told her I knew we would. I am looking forward to a great year with my new hunting partner.

Good Luck this year to all.