HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 270 Abolt
Thread: 270 Abolt
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Danny45

Default RE: 270 Abolt

Congrats on buying a great firearm. I loved my SS .270. I had one of the older models, without the boss, and it liked Remington CoreLokt and Federal Premier ammo. Both would shoot about 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. And with handloads, 130 grain ballistic tips, 58 grains of H4831 powder, I got 1/2" groups. And it was a box stock rifle.

Two things to remember. With the BOSS system, your barrel is actually only about 20 inches long, not 22. They cut off some of the barrel to add the BOSS. Also, ammo manufacturers rarely give accurate velocity listings on their ammo because they are usually tested in pressure barrels, not real rifles, and they are usually 24 to 26 inches long. It is about normal to be shooting in the 2800 - 2900 fps range with your rifle. Don' t sweat it. Sight it in for 1 inch high at 200 yards. That' ll put you about 3 inches high at 100, and only about 7 inches low at 300. So if you get a 300 yard shot, just put the cross hairs on the backbone and fire. A more important consideration is cross wind drift. At that range, you' ll notice about a 3 inch difference in impact point with only a 10 mph cross wind. So if you take shots that long, practice in windy conditions to know what the bullet is going to do.

Good luck this year, and enjoy a very fine firearm.