HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunt Test/ Field Trials VS. Real Hunting?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Hunt tests are conducted by the AKC which I have never ran. Field trials are held by different venues like NSTRA, AF, etc. After my first AF trial back in the early 80's, I never entered again, not because I don't respect it but because I never had a dog with those attributes. Then there was a big gap of years before I felt I had the freedom to get another hunting dog.

As for trainning, field trial vs. hunting, field trials by a far margin. They have to perform and trainning is a large part of that.

Differences, trials they want the dog to hit the field hard and fast and look good doing it. They look for attributes that separate an ordinary gun dog from an extratrodinary gun dog. Personally, for hunting, I like a slower dog but is more thorough with their hunting and independent. What I mean is that the dog learns alot about birds on its own. Repositioning and not crowding birds are two examples.

I respect FT'ers and what they do. I doubt there's a gun dog today which hasn't benefited from some form of breeding program which has ties with some organization meant for competition. FT'ers will search the country trying to find the right breeding pair, so we don't have to.

Last edited by Mite; 03-30-2010 at 07:52 AM.