HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Renegade RB gun @ the Dinger Farm
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

It's strictly a patch & ball thing Breechplug. I've tried an awful lot of lubes for patched balls - bore butter, crisco, ballistol, various "moose milk" and moose snot" recipes, various bees wax/oil combinations, etc. - and haven't found anything I like as well as plain old olive oil. I saturate a stack of patches by massaging it in with my fingers, then wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the bundle with my fingers so the paper absorbs the excess oil. The patches have an "almost" dry feel. They are pleasant to handle and work really well in all of my ball guns.

EDIT: As far as what it will do, it pretty much does what any good patch lube will do - makes loading easier, keep the patch from burning, and keeps the fouling soft. I had a long session with the GP flintlock this morning. For the first half of the session I wiped the bore with one alcohol patch between shots. I got tired of that and took the last twenty-five or so shots without swabbing at all, and didn't get any fouling build up or loading difficulty.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-28-2010 at 07:02 PM.