HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Walmart Arrows
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SaintHubert
2 years ago I wrote CX and asked them about their "WalMart" arrows. This was their response,

We do make special arrows just for Wal-Mart that other retailers do not carry but there are some arrows that normal retailers carry as well as Wal-Mart. The arrow you mentioned is not a sub-standard arrow. This arrow is not made out of the same high quality carbon that our top hunting arrows are made out of like our Maximas. However this arrow can be considered one of the best compared to other competitors arrows made with comparable costs and materials. Overall this will be a good hunting arrow and I would not hesitate to use it for hunting but it will not be as good as our top hunting arrows. If you have any other questions please let me know and thanks for choosing Carbon Express.

Thanks,

Brian Wright
Customer Service, Technical Support
Carbon Express, Eastman Outfitters, and Eastman Outdoors

You have to read that with a sideways eye though...

What he is saying, and what I said five months ago, is that these arrows are not 'defects' meaning that they are in anyway structurally unsafe.... but no where in that email does he say that they are the same as Maxima Hunters. Infact, he specifically says that they are not made with the same high quality carbon as the Maximas are. Therefore... like it or not... if you have two... and one is better... the other is 'inferior'.

They are not sub-standard.... but the standards aren't as high either.

Reject and inferior are not meant as derogitory terms at all... just as a basis for comparison. Folks get all worked up about stuff sometimes (this ain't directed at you either Saint... not at all.... I just liked the email you put up, thanks!).

I very much enjoyed reading an article in this months 'Whitetail Times', relating an experience the author had with Bob Foulkrod at one of his schools. Bob took a quiver full of orphaned and misfit arrows, and proceded to shoot a bunch of arrows into the 5 and X ring of an NFAA indoor five spot from 20 yards... five arrows.... all different spines... different weights... only thing they had in common was they were over the min weight and min length to function on the bow. Someone asked (seriously I might add) if he was trying hurt someone. He curtly replied that he was simply trying to prove a point.... that at a responsible hunting distance (ala inside 20 yards... which is certainly reasonable and doable for 95% of archers)... the arrow doesn't matter nearly as much as the shooter and the tune of the bow. Make that distance 30 yards and you have tripled the negitive effect of mis-spine and poor tolerance... but with the average whitetail being killed inside 20 yards with a bow.... well.... you know. Go heavy... practice... scout... shoot a sharp head... and hope you have a deer cart and a big freezer.