HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is bowhunting "all" (or mostly) about the challenge, to you?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Good bunch of post's here everyone!!

To me there's no quieter time In the woods then bowhunting. A person can learn so much just sitting there listening and enjoying what mother nature throws at ya.

As for the challenge In bowhunting. There's a few different ways one could go about this. I'll use whitetails for an example. You could up your challenge with the type of buck your after- whether your going for age, more Inches, or up and close hunting (20 to 30 yard max). You could also make It more challenging by what choice of bow you shoot. I myself go the traditional route and no doubt It ups the challenge and besides I'm not a fan of the high tech stuff so the traditional route Is better for me anyway. Everything I listed Is pretty much the way I bow hunt. It's up and close hunting and at the same time I'm trying to shoot some of the better bucks that are In the area. Doesn't pan out too often but that's the challenge and one I enjoy (most of the time).

All In all It's a little bit of everything for me.
Well stated Steve, very WELL STATED!!!

For me it started out as a way to begin the season early or extend the season. I started out gun hunting when I was 13, not coming from a "hunting family," I'd always loved the woods, just not hunted up to that point. When I was 16, I bought a crossbow because I knew I could use it to get me out there more often, the following year came a compound. And ever since then, I've been addicted. it took me nearly 10yrs of bowhunting to finally kill something. I learned LOTS of tough lessons along the way, but once I finally killed something, it was REALLY an addiction. AS success happened w/ bowhunting the thrill of gun-hunting died, and in 2002, I gave up gun-hunting completely. I've learned MOST of what I've learned on the fly, trial and error, reading magazines, whatever. Never really had a "mentor," but in many ways, it makes every success feel that much better. I'll never be a "great hunter" but I'll always be a persistent hunter!!!

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 03-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.