HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
TreestandPilot
Spike

Question Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!

Hey Guys & Gals-
I'll refrain from saying the name of the taxidermist for now, but here is what's going on...
I took a deer on Nov 8, 2008 that scored 162", and was my first ever bowkill. Before the season, I did a lot of "asking around" about a reputable taxidermist in my area. I had several people give me the name and number of an Award Winning taxidermist about 2 hrs away. He is in a couple of taxi magazines that I get, and his work is all over the Gander Mountain store in his town. That being said, I've seen his awesome work, and on the recommendation of friends, I trusted him.
A friend and I both took our deer to him on the same day, which was Nov 8, 2008. We paid the $775.00 up front, the day we brought the deer in. He said he would have them finished in 10-12 months. My buddy picked his deer up in early October 2009. I called the taxidermist in December 2009 to inquire about the status of my mount, and he said he had not yet started on it, but to call back in a month or two. That is the last I have spoken to him.
I have tried to call AT LEAST 15-20 times over the last month. He will not answer, will not return calls, and will not return emails. I took off work one day a couple of weeks ago and drove the 2hrs down to his shop to inquire in person, but he was not there.
I have been calling all the guys that recommended him, and they say he is still in business, etc. One friend just picked up a European Mount there three weeks ago.
Long story short- I can't take off work much at all, but I can't get him to answer my calls or call me back. I have a friend that lives about 20 minutes from him, and he is going by there tomorrow morning to check on it.

What could be going on??????

What else could/should I do??????

Thanks for the suggestions guys- I appreciate it.