HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Went and sat in the woods this morning for the first time. Season is still three weeks away, just some low impact listening and scouting.

I had archery leauge last night, so I didn't make it in until late. Woke up plenty early this AM, but couldn't get the fire going. Long story short, I was about 30 min later than I wanted to be. But thats why we do these dry runs ahead of time.

I heard a few birds gobbling a ways off across the swamp. Found that the birds are still largely roosting right where they were in the fall. Plenty of fresh sign, though I didn't see any turkeys (which this time of year is a good thing if you ask me... don't want to run them off the place). Swamp was full of wood ducks and mallards, don't know where they were during January, but it wasn't where they were at this morning.

Did some checking on some other places that I deer hunt. Someone cut the chain and or lock on one of my girlfriends ladder stands and made off with it. Common.

It was a right nice morning in the woods. I suspect I might have heard a little more gobbling if I would have been on time. Definately gave me the itch for the season to hurry along.