HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Gobbling Buck
Typical Buck

Default What would you do?

This is a first for me.....this morning I took my 10 yr old son on a turkey hunt. We had patterned some birds and knew where they were going to be this morning. The plan worked great and we got into the ground blind about 30 min before sunrise. When flydown time came around, we had 8 hens flying down all around us. We had 3 that stayed in the field feeding and serving as live decoys. We watched them for a little over an hour without making a single call. After about 45 min of watching the hens, we heard a gobble within 100yds. We were really pumped up and I was convinced my son was finally going to get to score on his first bird........WELL, HERE COMES THE PROBLEM!! We heard a vehicle coming down the dirt road (a county road). I didn't think too much of it, until I heard the shotgun blast. The individual shot the tom about 10yds from us in our ground blind. I opened the door of the blind to see a flopping tom about +/- 10yds away and a teenage boy running down the fire break to get him. He was rather surprised to hear me ask who he was. He's in the hunting club!!!!! Also his dad (in the club) was driving the truck and told him to shoot the bird. Needless to say I had a few choice words and I am so very thankful I decided to sit in the blind instead of where I had thought about setting up......because it would have been in the line of fire for this incident. So let me have the input guys......What would you do or have done? Thanks, GB