HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ripped off at a Gun Show by a retired RCMP
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ripped off at a Gun Show by a retired RCMP

Last month I went to a gun show in Alberta. Since I don't have a 22 rifle in Canada and didn't want to go through he hassle of bringing my weapons across the border I was on the prowl for a 22 rifle for gophers. I came across a 22 winchester lever action. Used but in good condition. As all guns there, they had locks on them or in this case it had a plastic lock tie on it. Kinda difficult to cheque the action or test the gun but I bought it for $270.00 cdn. I went to the gun range last week (first time shooting this rifle) and it wouldn't eject the cartriages as another was tring to be loaded into the chamber. Jamb each time. I changed brand of ammo with my friend and siliconed the chamber but same results. WTF. I was at the range with my friend who knows the guy I bought the gun from , a retired RCMP officer. His signature on the gun transaction/receipt was unreadable and the phone number was erroneous, but with the help of my friend I have his address and phone number.
My friend called him from the gun range with me last week and the gun seller said he'll look into it. I called yesterday and asked him what we're going to do about my gun. He told me he bought it at an auction and gun actions go out all the time and for me to get it fixed. Now I am starting to get mad, who's going to pay for it, I asked? He acted like it was my problem, but said he'll call me next week about me buying another one from him for more money. I'm pissed now and just want my money back.
What can a person do in buying a used gun at a legitimate gun show and discovering its defective?

Bobby