HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is your favorite turkey load?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 PM
hunt12ga
Typical Buck

I got a new Mossberg 535 this year and I've shot some Winchester 3 1/2" 5's and 6's with less-than-desired results at 40 yards. I can kill at that range, but I was hoping for more. I tried some 3 1/2" Rem Nitro #4's today with a little better pattern (especially considering the larger pellets). The real kicker is that I tried some 2 3/4 Nitro 4's that my little neice will be using during youth season. The shot pattern is much tighter at 35 yards than the 3 1/2 shells! The pattern isn't nearly as dense due to less shot, but I am seriously considering using them instead of my monster loads.

I will probably go ahead and drop the cash next season for a nice choke tube and try some of those $$$ loads that everybody brags about. But I'll stick with what I have this year since I just spent more than I could afford for the new scattergun. Every bird I've shot to date has been inside 45 yards, so I don't know why I even care, but it would be cool to say that I could put 10 #4's in a walnut at 50 yards! lol

rw