HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ? the puppies first days at a new home
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
445 supermag
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mite
I would first set an area for the pup. Like a laundry room or bathroom, someplace with tile or vinyl flooring, no carpet. Don't lock the door but use a baby gate. This is the area you want her to sleep at night.

For the first few nights, set the crate near you or a family member. That way, the pup can hear/see someone. It will calm them down somewhat. Later you can move them to 'their' area. You can also use a radio in combination with the clock. ie, get a small plastic bottle filled with warm water, wrap it with a towel and have the clock ticking. In the background, use the radio to make soft noises.

As for pottying, always be consistant. Take the pup out atleast (2 would be good)once a night at a certain time. Let them drink during the day but feed them less water at night. Their internal clock will tell them to hold until its time for you to take them out.

There are tips you can use while the pup is growing up like using the whistle to call the dog for feeding which you will overlay into the field. Woahing her before she eats, also overlays and not tugging the leash which will help with heeling later on.

Read "How to help gundogs train themselves" by Joan Bailey which is a precursor to NAVHDA training book.
Thanks Mite,

I will be using a crate for my puppy till she is older. I really like the warm bottle trick too along with the clock and radio with soft music. Should give me the best shot at a decent night sleep. I hope. But like Podunk said I don't want to baby her and make it worse.

I have been around regular dogs in my life for over 25 years, just not a gun dog. I am so looking forward to it. I think I will give these suggestions some a shot.

thanks guys.

Brian

Last edited by 445 supermag; 03-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.