HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrows are too stiff?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JNTURK
Thanks. Thats the answer I was looking for.

Quick question: I can usually group my arrows (FP) from 20-40 yards in a 3" group. So do I want my group at each yardage, 25,30,35,40 to have the 3" group around the vertical line? I did have the "/" type pattern when I did try walk back, however I did not group shoot at each yardage and only shoot one arrow. I was only off the vertical by around 4" or so. Would this mean my rest should be moved to the right some or because my usually grouping pattern is around 4" would it mean that I am ok where I am at?
Josh,
I'd generally do a walkback 2-3x, making sure I have that specific pattern, and then make my adjustments. If it's real close, then I'll sometimes just screw on some BH's and see what happens at 20yds, and adjust from there. A walkback is a simple semi-rough tuning method. Probably well enough for a guy just wanting to shoot mechanicals, and not worried about more "precision tuning," but a BH tune will get you almost as precise as anything, as you're adjusting the rest not only to the arrows, but also to YOU!!! Generally if you BH tune a bow, you'll find that when finished, you even shoot your FP's better. I actually know a handful of target shooters that will BH tune their target rigs for a "super-fine" tune on them. Not that they'll ever intend on shooting BH's out of them any other time, but it helps tweak just that much more to what they are trying to accomplish.