HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any Disabled Vets in the house?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 03:33 AM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

not allowed to double dip any more. when you are retired military and drawing VA benefits can only collect on one.
This is no longer the case.

Another concept to be aware of is "Concurrent Receipt". I don't think the law provides full implementation until 2014, but IIRC, any retired veteran above 50% will receive their full (taxed) retirement - PLUS - their VA disability (untaxed). Seems I remember being briefed last year that the implementation is phased starting this year. Still waiting on my own reevaluation to see how it works.
The phase in began in 2004.

Thanks to all you guys for your service.

I retired from the US Army in 1979. There is a long history behind the
law that prevented retired military folks from drawing both a military retirement and a VA disability. It was rammed through congress in the 1890s by a congressman who was a Confederate officer. It was in effect until 2004.

Congress voted to phase in the concurrent receipt of military retired pay and VA disability pay for 20 year or more retirees who are rated at 50 percent or more by the VA. The phase in began in 2004. It does not apply to folks who took eary retirement.

In 2014 disabled military retirees who are rated at 50 percent or more by the VA will receive all their military retirement pay and all their VA disability pay. In 2010 they are receiving 93.95 percent of the VA disability pay along with their full retirement check.

If you are a 20 year military retiree and you have a VA disability rated at 50 percent or more you should be receiving both. Here is the formula:

http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...ay-computation

Combat Related Special Compensation is another matter:

2008 Update: The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, signed into law on January 29, 2008, includes changes to Chapter 61 retiree eligibility, a new component for (CRSC). This legislation expands eligibility to medical retirees with less than 20 years of service, effective January 1, 2008. Medically retired veterans must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA disability and a combat related event.

http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...l-compensation

Last edited by falcon; 03-08-2010 at 03:49 AM.