HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article
Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 AM
DougE
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
POtter, i actually thnk the opposite about Doug's hunting skills. While I disagree heartily with anyone killing high numbers of doe each year, in defense of his skillset, he finds and kills them on public land, many of them with a bow, and in the WMU with the lowest DD in the state. I think he's probably a exceptionally skilled hunter, which translates to his unwillingness to believe that everyone else can't find many deer in the same places. JM2C
I know quite a few hunters that consistantly kill much bigger bucks than I do on a consistant basis around here.Most of these guys you never hear about because they aren't complaining.I don't have a fraction of the skils or patience these guys have.It isn't about skill at all.It's nothing more than a simple undertsanding of what deer need at different times of the fall.That's all tied to habitat and food sources.Once I learned some basic facts about that,it became easy to write off many areas and focus on the areas that have what deer are looking for.There are no special skills for that.I hunt strictly saturdays with the exception of the first day of deer season and maybe one or two extra afternoons during archery season.I've seen some of my favorite areas go down the tubes just like ole RB is complaining about.It's easy to evaluate why in most cases and find better places to hunt.