HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Acceptable pattern?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
bigturkeys
Spike

Originally Posted by charlie brown
I am definately going to stick with lead. I have not found anything else local. The stuff I bought today, there was plenty of boxes left, so I will be able to check my pattern, and then go back after another box. I can't afford to buy 2 or 3 boxes of the fancy stuff over the internet, only to find out it won't work. Also, if I need it, I need it, and can't wait for it to be delivered. Kinda how it is when you live out in the sticks.

Later,

Marcial
Mossberg

You need a tigher choke. lead shot needs a tighter choke then hevi shot does. With my 870 rem i had a factor full and I would only get 45 in 10" plate at 30 yards using cheap rem nitro 5 shot. I got jellyhead .660 and at 30 yards it jump up to 177 pellets at 30 yards.

But at 40 yards it went down to 44-45 again. At 15 yards it like shooting a slug at a turkeys head. I was told I would either need hevi shot to raise the count at 40 or get even tighter choke for lead. Also polishing your barrel will help.

If you want some help you should check out forum called old gobbler. They know their gun and chokes and have a forum just for your problem. Mossberg like more open choke then rem becuase of the way the barrel is made but .700 is just to big you need something around .670 or so.

Last edited by bigturkeys; 03-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.