HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wanting To Purchase A 2010 ATV
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
Looking at 2010 ATVs, will be used for hunting, snowplowing and taking my kids for rides. I had years ago a 1996 Polaris 450 Magnum brought it brand new, but sold it just didn't have time to ride.

Now I'm looking at a few 2010 ATVs in 500/800 cc range: CamAm (super expensive) Polaris ( I hear not as good as they where) and the Susuki Brute Force 750, my friend who is up on ATVs told me the Susuki Brute Force 750 is the bike to go with.

What do you ride or thinking of buying?
IMO Polaris is better than ever. That is based on the 2005 Sportsman 700EFI I ride and guys I ride with. I plow plenty of snow with it, trail ride, drag trees, etc.

I have ridden most of the machines with power steering. I DO NOT like how they make the steering twitchy/touchy. The only way I would consider PS is if I was going to be doing mostly slow riding in real tight trails.

The Suzuki King Quad is a power house for sure. That and the Kawasaki are the drag racers for sure but I don't think you are looking for that.

I think that the Polaris all wheel drive system is unbeatable. There are no levers or BS to mess with or fumble while you are in doo-doo or trying to get over something. Either thumb it on or stay in 2WD.

As far as reliability you can't go too wrong with any of the big players. Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda or Polaris. I have no real opinions on the Can Ams and wouldn't be caught dead on an Artic Cat.

But I have to uge you to seriously consider looking at the masses of used ATVs out there. TONS AND TONS of stuff barely used. Their loss can be your gain. Basically all the warranties are only 12 months so personally I don't find that much to consider. Yamaha's is only 6 months but the last 2005 Yamaha I had I never had a single issue with it and that is pretty common.

One more consideration is the snowplowing. I have the Polaris Glacier system w/ 60" blade. I've never seen a stronger, more well thought out and engineered mounting system and the blade goes on/off w/ no tools. On most others you have to lay down and put pins thru the frame underneath to attach/detach the plow and the pins fall out ALOT like on the Warn system my Yamaha had. Wound up using SS shoulder bolts and nylon insert lock nuts which made you lay down there even for fumbling with wrenches.