HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about CVA BP
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Gotbuck
Typical Buck

A big problem is when new commers in the sport come in hearing that "magnum" hype and 3 pellets crap. They assume all guns can take it. Do not get me even started on the "Smokeless powder is blackpowder cause it's black in color", another major no no. We as responsible muzzleloaders must educate the new guys. It is alarming how stupid one can be, I saw a guy get a bullet stuck in which the ram rod stuck out by one-half. He said I guess I need to shoot it out in order to get it out, he was serious. He proceeded to put a cap on and get benched up. I yelled and hollared as loud as I could "hold on", the range crew came running and I explained what I observed. He did not shoot and after the range officer said I was in the right, the guy really broke down and explained he did not read the manual etc.. and this was his first ever gun. I helped him remove the bullet and we shot together for a while and I taught him some good practices, as it works well for me. He stated there really was no information available, I told him to look at gun sites as most have the manuals for download and provided him with sites I frequent such as this one. I remember when I was a new commer many years back and I was very cautious, read the manual many times and found this site before shooting for the first time. I own all Traditions muzzys, except the TK2000 for birds and love them all, yes the Trads are spanish but who the heck needs a 150 grain charge? I use 100 grains and they are all heck of shots. Bottom line is work from small loads and work up until the gun is accurate in groupings that are comfortable to you but never go over their recommendations. With all the new powders out there charge pressures vary now more then ever. If that powder is not in my manual it does not go in the gun no matter what you tell me. Most new guys say they want speed cleaning and do not want to spend a long time mopping the bore etc. I say if that's what you want then buy a centerfire. Any gun can blow, it just seems that when a muzzy goes, that all of them are bad and labeled as such. Let's do our part to educate any time we get the chance. Just my two cents.