HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what scope??
Thread: what scope??
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Spaniel,

Explain this to me again.

I don’t know what I’m talking about, because I referenced these legends, and you are now one of the “new” names I will find listed in the annals of history going forward.

Do I have that right ?

Or these guys just didn't have rangefinders ?

This is not a criticism of you, just the way you present your points.
You reference "chuck hawks", himself quite ignorant to long range shooting in that he references how MPBR is not greatly extended with magnum cartridges and therefore concluding long range shooting is not greatly improved with these cartridges. This completely ignores the fundamentaly ballistic performance advantages seen at long range when appropriately educated on long range ballistics and drop compensation techniques that make the simplistic reliance on MPBR calculations obsolete.

These OLD TIME legends did not have access to tactical-style scopes, laser rangefinders, electronic windmeters, and PDAs loaded with ballistic software, all of which are fielded by long range shooters today. When you are shooting 700 yards you must know within 10-15 yds of the correct range or your drop error will cause a bad shot. In their day, they lacked the tools to adequately judge range for 700 yd shots. We don't today. They also lacked many of the wonderful long range cartridges we have today. So to cite them as examples is completely ignorant.

You don't know what you are talking about because you overlook all of these above points and reference google searches as your only knowledge of long range shooting. People here such as RR, myself and others have taken the time to learn about it and practice it before running our mouths and telling others whether they should or should not be thinking about it, or what equipment is needed to do it right.

Access to a search engine is not a substitute for real learning and experience. Every one of us is ignorant about certain topics, and it is wise to recognize this and stick to talking about the ones you know, and sitting back, being open and learning about the ones you don't.