HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - go and get'em or try like hell to call'em back
Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Lanse couche couche
Boone & Crockett

You all really need to take what Betterbirddog says with a grain of salt. He has proven in the past to be grossly ignorant of his own state laws regarding the circumstances where someone can shoot dogs. Also, anyone that is gonna go running out into the woods in the dark and start spraying lead at running coonhounds that are posing a threat to nothing but the coon they are chasing probably has no business owning a gun.

But, back to the topic. I grew up running coonhounds in southeastern Illinois. At that time there was very little posted land and the common assumption was that unless you saw a posted sign it was okay to be there. We sometimes crossed half a dozen boundary lines in the course of a nite with no problems. But times have changed. Properties have become smaller and you have more people moving out into the country who simply dont want dogs or hunters on their property. When I was growing up, if someone heard dogs howling way off in the distance at nite, it was just part of local life. Nowdays folks are calling the police. So, I simply stopped running coons with hounds because it is too much of a bother.

We do have quite a few coyote hunters in the area. Like someone else discussed, they are pretty good about asking all the landowners in a large area for permission. As a result of putting in that effort, they have large areas where they can run hounds with no problems. Also, in Illinois, it is not illegal for a coyote hound to run across posted ground, but the hunter cannot go retrieve them. I think that if a coonhunter puts in the effort, they too can probably figure out ways to get permission to run hoounds on a series of tracts of land and largely avoid problems.

Of course the ultimate irony is that you get lots of folks that throw a temper tantrum at the thought of coon hounds or coyote hounds on their land. But the same people will turn around and complain when the coons are eating up their sweet corn or the coyotes are killing their pets and livestock.

I own land in two counties in Illinois and whether or not some coonhunters dog runs across my property or trees up in it is WAY down on my list of worries. In most cases, considering all the usual noise from local yard dogs barking, coyotes howling, and the sounds of heaters and appliances running in a house, you would have to have a whole pack of hounds with the coon treed up iright in your backyard to even know that the coonhunters are around.