HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - backpacking
Thread: backpacking
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Hurricanespg
Nontypical Buck

Well since you will be wanting to do it quite a bit it will be wise to invest in quality products...so....i will cover the big three as these will be your most used items, and also the items that are easiest to save weight on.

1. Backpack
Crooked Horn, Badlands, Kifaru, and Eberlestock all make quality packs with a good warranty. Try all of them (with weight) and pick the one that fits you best....Kifaru packs are custom made for you so they will fit, and yes you pay a bit more for it.
For a week long trip you will probably want a pack somewhere in the 4,000cu inch range or larger.

2. Tents
There are a myriad of options here, but I prefer light and free standing, or a tarp and bivy sack. A tent I will recommend is the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Hard to beat a quality 2 person tent that weighs in at 2lbs 10oz. There are a ton of good tarps and bivy sacks out there....Cabelas actually makes a pretty good bivy sack too.

3. Sleeping Bag
Lots of good sleeping bags out there, made by a lot of different companies. Take a look at Marmot, North Face, Big Agnes, Western Mountaineering, and Golite.
You will need to decide whether to go with down or synthetic fill. Down is a bit lighter, but loses its insulating abilities when wet. Synthetic is a bit heavier but retains its insulating abilities.

This time of the year there are plenty of sales going on so if you shop hard you should be able to save quite a bit.