HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is my calling good or bad?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Adrian J Hare
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
so you should take the hens out?
I think we all know the answer but thanks for the " make yourself clear" reply

The later the season thew more commonly the hens sit on their nests leaving a less amount of hens to hang with gobblers. This makes the gobblers start to look for hens more often giving you a better chance for an adult birds. Most times by this part of the season Jakes have been either shot or have been busted enough at setups that they learn to stay away of setups, leaving the Toms to come in.

Adrian, your post about early vs. late season has triggered a couple of questions. Since my season, here in NE Florida (Palatka/Interlachen area), typically occurs from mid-late march to mid-late april and Spring Break (I'm a high school math teacher) occurs towards the end, I'm in the woods as much as possible; usually from sun-up to sun-down. Since my area is the "grey-line" between easterns and osceolas what should I consider as early season and late season? And, how should I adjust my calling during each?
SW, I'd love to make and post a recording of my calling; but am not techno savy enough. Any help would be much appreciative.
littlekid
littlekid, I spent a number of years guiding in South Florida and have seen this same thing there. The Osceola is known to be a quiet bird on the ground after flydown, but even at the end of the season they still came to the call but most times it was quiet.

Gobblers still want to mate even weeks or a month after the season end. I have seen them here over a month after the season strutting for hens. I find that the later part of the season a caller needs to be much more suttle with their calls and do not get as aggressive. Gobblers will still move into your setups...