HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear Kodiak
Thread: Bear Kodiak
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Kodiak

Okay, ya threw me on the glass color thing. Bear used glass about the color of this print sometimes. Se la vie, se la guerre.

Arrows: Aluminum or weighted carbon. I much prefer aluminum for many reasons. You can make excellent wood arrows, but they do have a set of maintenance issues.

In deference to the age of the bow, I don' t think you should go below 8 or 9 grains per pound of draw weight. I prefer 10 to 12 gpp for all my shooting with stickbows. That bow will likely last you a lifetime if you don' t abuse it.

Tab or glove? The answer to that is YES. A tab always gives me a smoother, more consistent release than a glove and is my first choice for target shooting. But it isn' t as handy as a glove. A glove is always ready on my hand and is my first choice for hunting.

B-50 dacron. Nothing else. Fastflight or any other strings of that type will shear the limb tips off that bow. Either endless loop or flemish will work, but I' ve noticed a few things recently... Some guys at the club have been bringing out older bows this year. Seems like the endless strings shoot quieter and squeeze a bit more performance out of the oldies than the flemish do - and to a greater extent than switching string types on a new bow does. That' s not a scientifically tested fact, just a casual observation, but it has impressed me enough that I' ve put an endless string on my old Pearson, and would put an endless string on anything made pre-1980.

Magnus and Zwickey for sure. Bear Razorheads. Even Steelforce, but I think they' re a little delicate and easily bent. Snuffer and Wensel Woodsman for 3-blade heads. There are a lot of good heads. As for a bad head, anything made by Satelite.[X(]