HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 PM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Deer most certainly are effected by severe conditions. Just ask Maine, who despite having relatively low deer densities still have winter loss regularly, and at times a significant portion of the herd.

Deer burn alot of calories just walking through that stuff, and staying just staying warm in very cold conditions.

Deer might be able to reach a very slight bit higher up , but remember, they dont walk on top of snow. The very small narrow shape of the feet and legs are not conducive to walking on snow like a snowshoe hare. They sink straight down into it.

There will most likely be losses. Perhaps not as severe as some states, but some fawns of the year wont fair well.

As I said long harsh winters. Thats what Maine has every winter. So yes obviously Maine has more winter mortality as do other harsh winter states. NY has had winters with significant deer mortality. Also I've never seen snow that remains light, and fluffy all winter long. It packs down. Ever notice a fresh snow of several inches, and next day its a few inches lower? Snow on top of snow compacts it. Deer don't drop all the way to the hard ground throughout winter. I've seen winter yards in spring that the height deer reached available browse is quite high.