HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NRA weighs in on AR
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

PGC admitted that their reasoning was that with the higher trophy potential in western PA, the 4 point rule would protect more of the yearling bucks than the statewide 3 point rule. They claim they based this on antler data collected over time that demonstrated superior yearling growth rates in the region in comparison to the statewide averages. But that is where the science ends. BB is right. There was no scientific benefit realized in any way, shape or form since AR was instituted. AR were designed to increase hunter satisfaction and offest the negativity surrounding institution of HR. Imagine if the PFBC had announced a drastic cut in trout numbers overall, without "offsetting " it with increased average size? These are one and the same. "Fewer but bigger" seems to be the mantra in PA these days. Only problem is I've seen zero increase in average trout size and I fish a TON in the spring- catching and releasing hundreds of trout/ year. And as far as the deer go, the "quality" just doesn't seem to be offsetting the decrease in quantity from what I've seen, and from what the majority of hunters are reporting. Yeah, we killed a very high percentage of yearlings in the past, but that doesn't mean that there weren't always bigger bucks around for those who chose to pass and wait. AR was based on science only as far as the higher potential in the western region, but instituted solely for social purposes. That said, I guess I'm growing accustomed to them, as I've become more selective over the years anyway. AR doesn't bother me nearly as much as extensive statewide HR. I'd gladly keep the AR and flush HR, if given the opportunity. Yet the fact remains that AR not producing any scientific benefits is just another example of PGC not managing the herd based on science.

Last edited by Screamin Steel; 02-19-2010 at 07:24 AM.