HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
bemidjihunter
Spike

Originally Posted by vadeer
I am working on deer herd management research, specifically on the effectiveness of bow hunting as a deer management tool and recovery rates. A few decades ago there was a non-scientific survey conducted (I think it was the Camp Ripley) that suggests deer recovery rates for bow hunting were 50%. This number is unrealistically low in my personal experience. Within the last few years, I recall reading an article debunking that survey. Can anyone recall or point me to such an article or an updated study? I have the Indian Head, Md. article "Wounding Rates of WTD with Modern Archery Equipment."

Thanks.
Depending on the type of research you are doing, I would be really careful about citing anything to do with the Camp Ripley study. It has come under heavy criticism from both pro and anti hunting organizations, the antis saying the estimate is too high and the pros saying it is too low. I don't know of any formal studies or papers debunking it, but I believe both sides have basically accepted it as an all around bad scientific method and sampling site.