HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 454 Casull, big enough to stop a grizzley?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Chris W.
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MO-KS_hunter
If I was going to get a rifle to specifically deal with bears I'd get something like this in .416 Ruger:

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...an/models.html

BUT that's not what I was asking. I was seeing what people thought about the ability of a large caliber handgun in stopping a Grizzly. If I were to buy a .454 Casull and bring it into bear country, I would indeed practice with it enough to have the confidence (not to mention muscle memory) to get off a few well placed shots. Having said that, I don't know how I would personally deal with the situation of having a Grizzly bear down on me but I do know (from military rifle training) that the best way to prepare for war is to practice and practice until you can do it in your sleep and then rely on your instinct to take over when the situation presents itself.
As far as handguns and grizzlies go, a 454 casull is good as a choice as you can get when it comes to packing a big punch. That or a 475 linebaugh.