HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunt Essentials
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Negatory on the treestand. Check local regs because it is illegal to shoot them out of a stand in some states. I see a lot of turkeys in the fall while bowhunting deer. They always see me in the tree, most of the time from 50-60 yards away. They will see you up there.

The blind is the way to go. They won't pay any attention to a blind, even set up in the wide open. I didn't believe it until I tried it. They walk right up and just about look in the thing. Wear dark clothes and keep the windows behind you closed and they won't see you.

Any broadhead will work for turkey. It has been my experience that if you shoot them with anything but a large diameter mechanical you usually have to go looking for them. If you don't break their back they will run off and you have to track them. Sometimes quite a distance. I prefer a mechanical for turkey for that reason. I use the NAP gobble stopper, it has a blunt tip and really knocks them. Hits them hard and most don't get up. Most any mechanical will work though.

If you are just starting get a slate call. I think they are the easiest to learn on and make good sounds.

Decoys will help with bowhunting. Put out a jake and a hen or a tom and a hen. Face the jake/tom toward your blind at about 15 yards. If a tom comes in he will want to face the decoy, that will put him looking away from you with his fan up and makes it easier to draw and get in position to shoot.