HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ballistic silver tip bullets?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 AM
ajstrider
Fork Horn

The Ballistic Silvertip bullet is nothing more than a mixture of Nosler and Winchester technology. It is a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet with a silver tip and a Winchester Lubalox coating on it. So construction wise, it is really no difference between it and the normal Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. With my experience shooting them, and hunting partners I have seen that use them, they are a fast expanding bullet that maintains about 50% of their weight by design, the fragmentation inside the body causes multiple secondary wounds to incapacitate the animal faster. I would not shoot a whitetail deer directly through the shoulders with one of these bullets, I consider them more to be a bullet designed to placed right behind the shoulder, much like an archery shot. The bullet will expand rapidly and destroy the lungs and possibly heart area without having any super hard bones in the way. A whitetail deer shot in this manner will normally fall over dead right there because you just turned their internal organs to mush. First let me say that I have never hunted a hog before, but I read that they can be somewhat of a tough animal to bring down. I know their size can vary a lot too. Since I wouldn't try to put one of these bullets through a whitetail deer's shoulder, or take a steep quartering shot with these bullets, and I consider the hog to be a tougher animal, the same would go for the hog. I have read that the heavier weight the bullet is for the caliber, the thicker the jacket construction is for the Ballistic Tip bullets. So on that note, maybe shooting the heaviest bullet you can for your caliber would be a wise choice with this ammo selection.

I personally much prefer a bullet designed to retain at least 70% of its weight to ensure expansion. A good all around bullet that is really popular out there is the Nosler Accubond. It is what I like to think of as a new and improved Ballistic Tip bullet. It still expands pretty dang fast but because of the redesigned jacket and bonding process, it retains more weight and allows it to penetrate deeper. It is just as sleek as the Ballistic Tip which makes it retain energy at longer ranges better. And if you are just a Winchester ammunition fan, they even happen to load the Accubond with the same Lubalox coating that is on the Ballistic Silvertips.