HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - case of Pa WCO harassment?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
rem700man
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
As a former deputy WCO ('71-'75) I can tell you this sort of thing has happened and this sort of question has been asked thousands of times in the last 40 yrs I am aware of( even before Al Gore invented the internet). That said I think your WCO was barking up the wrong tree in all kinds of areas, despite his 52 weeks of training. The question here is 'intent'. If you are dressed in blue bibs and are obviously farming then the rifle in your window and the gun in your armpits has no bearing on your intent. He can see you farming, your neighbors can see you farming, your wife can see you farming. If you are dressed so and stick your rifle out the window then you have a legal problem.

Now had you been dressed in blaze orange bibs and orange hat and vest the whole picture changes. Seriously I think your WCO friend needs to bark up another tree and quit harassing a farmer. He is supposed to work with landowners not against them. Not that all landowners are saints, but you see my point. Perhaps he could catch some crooks. Or even a poacher. IMHO.

A lil history: You know it used to be in PA that a cop could not search a vehicle without a warrant. And the practice at that time was for the PSP or any local policeman to call a game warden to get it done, as at that time, game wardens could search your vehicle without a warrant. All he had to tell the gw was I think this guy has a deer in the trunk. I am sure it must be all different now, since all police powers are expanded and deputy sheriffs can really arrest people instead of just being wards of the court.

Go see the PGC regional LES for your area and talk to him about your game warden problem, maybe even meet with the gw in the LES's office.

And good luck.
Now heres some prime information from a man who knows,,,and he has no hidden agenda,,,follow the instructions ,,and i think the problem is solved!