HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much KE are you hunting with?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Damon
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
That is pretty good for a bow that IBO's at 300.

Running these numbers (26" dl, 50# dw, 500 grain arrow), I show your bow doing right around the 170fps, producing about 32 lbs of KE.

Now more realistic numbers (everything the same, but a 354 grain arrow), I show your bow doing around 214fps, producing about 36 lbs of KE.

I have always been told that is takes about 40#'s to pass thru a deer and 50#'s to pass thru and elk. I think anything over 60#'s will work for most anything in North America.

My current setup (Hoyt Cabon Matrix, 383 grain arrow, 68#'s, 28.5 dl) is shooting right around 285 fps, producing right at 69 lbs of KE.
Can you or someone explain how to work the formula? Being a "layman" and not knowing how to get my FPS I guess would pretty much stop the equation right away? I just pulled the "Birth Certificate" of my bow and it says 296 FPS w/ a 350grain @ a 29" draw. I am shooting a GT expidition hunter 5575 with fixed Thunderheads, I BELIEVE 150grain ( cant find the package),28" draw @ 55lbs Bowtech Black Ice. Am I mis-matched? The arrow seems to have good flight and I get good grouping. Thanks Damon