HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Running deer with dogs
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
rustynobles
Fork Horn

agree with the beagles. a lot of people around here like to run deer with walkers (and that's nice if all you want to do is see them streak by and hear the dogs run). i personally prefer still hunting. i do, however, go hunting at least a few times a year with some of my friends who are really into running dogs. it is very enjoyable (less sporting of course), and here in the south it's a tradition that's as old as the country itself. my father ran dogs for years, but got out of the dog business when i got involved in youth sports around age 6 (of course he was in his 40's then and diving and chasing after dogs was probably becoming a little more difficult), and that's how he introduced me to the outdoors. i think it's a great way to introduce youths to hunting, as it is usually very exciting on a good cool morning. i fear it will soon be a thing of the past entirely. i will admit it's a little annoying when you're still hunting to have about 2 dozen dogs come barreling through, but it always gets the blood pumping when you hear them barking like something's killing them and they're getting closer. all in all, it's fun.