HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CWD Experts Tell Wisconsin DNR to Kill More Deer
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
cwanty03
Fork Horn

Copy of my rough draft paper 4 school!

If you picked up a newspaper in the last couple of months and noticed an article that is discussing the huge controversy regarding deer and the Wisconsin DNR and didn’t know why, you’re about to find out. The hunters in this state and the DNR are currently not on the same page. But one thing is for sure, all the hunters most definitely are! The Wisconsin DNR is devastating our deer herd and is turning Wisconsin’s oldest past time into a war.
Wisconsin’s love for deer is very important for a couple of different reasons, and the Wisconsin DNR needs to stick back to its original values. The Wisconsin Deer Management Program- the Issues Involved in Decision Making, Second Edition, writes how important deer are to us (WI Deer 2). Based on results from more than one study, the whitetail deer in Wisconsin has the largest popularity rate ranked with all other wildlife in Wisconsin (WI Deer 2). We can all agree Wisconsin is a fairly small state, but it still ranks third in the nation for the total amount of deer hunters (WI Deer 2). The Wisconsin deer gun season is a huge statewide event. Lots of people save their sick days and vacation days to use up for the nine day gun season. “The Wisconsin Deer Management Program” observed that “Some schools close their doors, northern industries shut down, and businesses downstate adjust work schedules to reduce absenteeism during the gun deer season. Such high levels of commitment feed the social foundation of deer hunting in Wisconsin—encouraging continued participation by passing the tradition down from one generation to the next” (WI Deer 2). Dating back to 1996, a total of 2.5 million in and out of state people planned events associated with whitetail deer relative to Wisconsin (WI Deer 3. Wisconsin residents love everything there is to offer with whitetail deer. This varies from small businesses that thrive during deer season, families spending quality time together in hunting cabins, passing traditions on to future generations, or simply being able to watch the beautiful wildlife our state has to offer. Therefore, Wisconsin will always have a huge concern with proper deer management.
The harvesting methods being used in Wisconsin currently are simply bad, and they seem to be unsustainable. Ben Myers states that “I am a 20-year-old avid Wisconsin hunter. As such, I was verysurprised to see that the 16-day gun deer season was even being considered. My family hunts in Florence County in upper Wisconsin. For the past 5 to 7 years we have noticed an enormous decrease in the deer population as a result of wolves, beers and harsh winters. I was happy to see that this year no doe tags were issued, but at the same time I am very upset with how the Wisconsin DNR has handled the deer population. This decrease in the population is a direct effect of the DNR issuing the same number of doe tags without considering how many deer are taken due to increases in wolf and bear populations. Out of a camp which had 12 hunters sit from 30 to 70 hours, we did not harvest a single deer. My father and uncle, who sit all day everyday of the gun season, saw a combined 9 deer. I am very saddened by this, as this decrease will have a great affect on future generations. How are hunters throughout Wisconsin supposed to get children interested in the sport of hunting? Without some change in the DNR agenda, I feel as though the sheer number of hunters will decrease significantly over the next couple of years, which is to me very sad”(Ben Meyers). This is just one example out of hundreds and hundreds of complaints proving the deer numbers are down and poor management practices in Wisconsin are currently in place.
Wisconsin hunters are getting sick of not seeing any deer and aren’t having any fun. J.R. Robbins emphasizes that many hunters are getting very angry and frustrated (Angry Hunters 1). J.R. Robbins also stated that some hunters are getting so fed up that they will not continue to buy licenses in upcoming seasons (Angry Hunters 1). Michael Solberg, a producer of bow hunts featuring whitetail deer, a hunter known for his success, and my hunting buddy, discussed with me the importance of having fun while hunting. The sport of hunting involves a lot of preparation and self dedication. Within the past couple years the sport of hunting has turned into a mystery, rather than an eventful opportunity. I can remember the first year I went hunting it was the amount of deer I saw that kept me in the woods. At a young age it isn’t easy sitting in a tree stand for countless hours without seeing a deer. With the deer population depreciating as it is, the involvement of younger kids will decline in reference to the low population. I believe Michael hit the nail right on the head. I also agree very much that when I was 14 years old, before they had started earn-a-buck in this state, the sheer number of deer I saw in the woods kept me interested in the sport. The Wisconsin DNR needs to take serious consideration of us “the hunters” concerns. If they don’t, the DNR will be missing out on a large chunk of their income due to hunting license sales down. Hunting isn’t always about killing, it’s about having fun!
The Wisconsin hunters need a solution to the current terrible management plan. State Senator Russ Decker suggests “Fire those responsible for managing the state's deer herd.” "I've spoken to the DNR people in the past and they're pretty oblivious to what we tell them. They think their way is the only way and the rest of us oughta go down the highway. So I've simply had it with those type of people” (Decker Interview). If I were voted into the top DNR spot today, I would change numerous hunting laws and regulations right away. First of all, I would drop all the t-zone hunts. Secondly, the youth season would be held before archery season begins and would be antlerless only. With the purchase of both archery and gun licenses the tags received would be one doe tag and one buck tag. No extra tags would be sold. Lastly, I would make it illegal to shoot a buck with less than three points on each side. All hunters may not have a cut and dry solution to our problem right now, but we know firing the DNR officials is the best way to start getting on the right path.
My voice alone can’t change the DNR’s decisions, but when all of us hunters come together we can be strong and get our point across. This may not happen today or next week, but they will soon listen to us when they need their revenues back because all hunters across the state quit purchasing licenses. The Wisconsin DNR will not get away with devastating our deer herd like they have been anymore. We can do this!

Works Cited
Robbins, J.R. "Abysmal Harvest Angers Wisconsin Hunters - NRAHuntersrights.org, NRA." NRAHuntersRights.org - Learn what NRA is doing to defend your freedom to hunt. National Rifle Association, 14 Dec. 2009. Web. 7 Feb. 2010. <http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=2787>.
"Sen. Decker: Fire DNR's Deer Management Team." Interview by Liz Hayes. Www.wsaw.com. WSAW Channel 7, 4 Dec. 2009. Web. 7 Feb. 2010. <http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/78555787.html?storySection=story>.
United States. Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. WISCONSIN?S DEER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM The Issues Involved in Decision-Making. Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, 1998. Web. 7 Feb. 2010. <http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/HUNT/deer/Deerbook.pdf>.