HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY Idaho Elk Hunt 2010
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
IF_hunter
Spike

Default DIY Idaho Elk Hunt 2010

I recently moved to the state (from ND where I bowhunted whitetails) and I'm trying to get a DIY archery elk hunt planned for this fall. I've never hunted elk before and I'm pretty fired up. I'm hoping some of you with experience in Idaho, or elk in general, can lend a hand.

I think I've narrowed down to a couple areas. I'm hoping to do a backpack hunt in order to get away from most hunters, but travel distance is also a consideration. I'm trying to decide between middle Idaho (Frank Church wilderness) or Island Park Zone in the east. Harvest percentages look good, as well as percentage of bulls over 6points (any elk would do me just fine, though) but what the statistics can't tell me is what it's actually like to hunt there. I plan on calling the regional biologists but does anyone have experience they can share?

As an aside, am I reading the regs wrong or is there no archery only hunt in the Frank Church?

Methods:
I'm reading/watching as much as I can about archery elk hunting. Practicing my calls and whatnot. My question is: Are these methods still valid in Idaho? I've heard people saying that because of wolf populations that elk are staying quiet. Is my dream of calling in a bull unlikely of coming true or are people looking for excuses?

Thanks for your help.

IFH