HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - stop complainin...start hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Cornelius08
Banned

What's a normal deer density?
That near average which can be found within similar habitat & conditions and has been widely accepted as "the norm". Just to throw out a figure or two, Id imagine for the lesser areas of the state, on a wide scale somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 dpsm average wouldnt be unreasonable to overwinter.
For best areas of the state perhaps 30, which if very conservative compared to most states "better areas". As for other areas of the state they would fall somewhere in between... Of course some "micro managing" could and should occur for very worst of the worst as well as urban areas.

"By the way,most of the hundreds of exclosures that I've walked through had deer present so very few have a zero deer density."
And if i remember correctly, on paoutdoors you said that one particular enclosure you spoke of had good regen and with the number of deer estimated inside and the size of the enclosure--added up to a higher deer density inside the fence, than outside it!!!! What are we to learn from that example? Sounds like no conclusion about "deer" could be made in that instance, and the study is completely compromised. The fences were put up for one reason. Keep deer out. Even when it works, that goal isnt "natural" or in my opinion isnt in any way desirable. So basically the regen studies are nothing more than a joke, and enviro pipedream based on experiments done by enviro-extremists gone by. All originated many years ago with "Latham" and his fenced in for 60 years enviro-garden. The man who was tossed from the commission because of his extreme deer management philosophies. And now all of a sudden is the current crew at Pgc's hero and implementing his extreme management strategy.

"The PGC,US forest service,DCNR AND A HOST OF OTHERS HAVE ALL DONE DOZENS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDIES OF DEER RELATING TO THE HABITAT."
And biologists and scientists also exist in every other state throughout the nation, yet the huge majority of states remain with "normal" deer densities and arent slaughtering their deer herds to less than 10 dpsm. In fact 90+ percent of them have areas within the state that have more deer than even our BEST wmus average densities!! In some cases over double.

You haven't dismantled anything I've ever posted.
Ok. If you say so. Though If it wasnt against the rules to post threads from other message boards, I think most would see things differently than you do. Course that dont matter, cause all they gotta do is stick around here for a post or three. lol.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-05-2010 at 09:35 AM.