HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - grouping
Thread: grouping
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Frank in the Laurel
Fork Horn

I used to think like halcon,, if it shoots 1/2 @ 100 then it should be 1 @ 200 That's before I became the range master at the Mifflin co. groundhog matches, we shoot 200-300-500 yards with just about every caliber, cartridge, firearm, loads, bullets, scopes made on the planet... It's amazing to me how some of them, especially the real benchrest quality equipment where you can really get rid of all that slop in the action, chamber neck.. how different they can actually be.. I'd say that the stranges cartridge of all is the 6.5 X 284, the cartridge built off the original 284 case... the vast majority of rifles, some built by the best benchrest gunsmiths in the USA can not shoot worth beans @ 200 yards.. maybe an inch or so..but their targets at 300 and 500 look the same.. so we can't use the formula if it inch at 200 then it should be 1 1/2 at 300 and 2 1/2 at 500...it just isn't so... it's also the same for the little ones,, the .223's in standard factory varmints will lay them right in there all day long at 200-300 but when the 500 shows up they aren't worth a darn.. YOU LEARN the most by sitting at the bench and doing it yourself...