HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - stop complainin...start hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Not sure what youre basing that on. But the opinion of most others differ. Less deer=less buck=less deer seen=less harvest..... doesnt = "better chance for a good hunting experience".

Not in bow season. Not the first day of rifle. Not the third day of rifle. Not the last day. Not late season. Unless "better hunting experience" equals sitting in a well stocked hobblebush patch.

In that example I'm referring to the greatly diminished hunting pressure in the gun season , especially in the Northern tier on opening day of rifle. Instead of "game over" by Monday at dark after the "big shoot" the hunting is good all season long.

As for the opinion of "most" that is only your opinion. Your opinion and mine are based on the handfuls of folks we interact with in person and online. fact is, no statistically credible assessment has been made recently enough to know for sure. Pointing to a consensus here or on small polls is unreliable at best. The all PA site that has many many times the daily participation from PA folks says otherwise (suggest you check thoroughly before you dispute that lol) Fact is, neither source is really a reliable measure of the real sentiment oout there.

Less deer? I agree.
Too few in some small spots? also agree.
Less deer is something we needed most places

Better hunting in spite of lower numbers? I think so. Better average bucks and better average doe size and it's still easy to find em in good numbers

Better hunting in the North after the opener? You betcha! (as long as you're willing to hunt) Heck, even Larrybird tells us it's like shooting fish in a barrell in the Northwoods these days