HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Different kind of deer
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
benno
Spike

Default Different kind of deer

Gday fellas, well i know your whitetail season is over so I thought i would share some of my good fortune with you from a recent deer hunt here in Aus.

I was lucky enough to drop the hammer on a chital (axis) stag. They are feral here and can be hunted year round - if you have the access to properties!

We were spot and stalking and on the first day of the hunt it took me two hours to get in on this big boy. He finally came to within 25m of where I was hiding behind a creek bank. He was feeding totally relaxed when i dropped the hammer and he still ducked the arrow so it took him in the shoulderblade and thru the spine. Down on the spot - but I use 80lbs and a 600g arrow.

Very happy with him.

The rest of hunt didnt go my way - I got busted on perhaps 8 stalks, got to the shot on another good stag and a doe, both easily ducked the arrow at 30m. Still thats chital hunting!

If you like this sort of hunt and are ever out in Aus its not that expensive - perhaps $5,000 for a week and usually includes a stag and a couple of does. Spot and stalk, ground blind or treestand - whatever you like.
cheers
benno
Attached Images