HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How deep for a soil sample?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
haystack
Typical Buck

[quote=MGH_PA;3568798]Yeah, that's good news. I just wanted to get a decent early start to my clover (then again, if the PH isn't ideal, it could be a waste) especially since I want to plant rye as a supplement/cover crop like I did in the other plot.

What are some lower Ph-tolerant plant options?

A couple options for the new plot, for a spring planting, could be Soybeans, Cowpeas or Buckwheat.

I'm thinking you're really wanting a clover plot, that once planted, will last a few years. White clovers is a very good choice for that reason. Once established, white clovers can live many years and provide lots of high quality forage deer love. Trouble is, some white clovers can be slow to get established and is highly susceptible to weed competition.

My humble suggestion for the plot that has been pasture for 30 years would be to apply the lime and plow that in, wait until late May, disk the plot and plant Buckwheat @ 50-60#s per acre. After 6 to 8 weeks or when the buckwheat is starting to bloom disk that in. After the buckwheat has decomposed some, it will soon be time to plant the clover and cover crop. Around the first of September should be about right for your area and by then the plot should be ready. Ultimately, your soil tests results will determine whether or not clover is to be planted this year. If your test comes back very acidic, less than 5.5, you may need to give the lime additional time. If that would be the case then frost seeding the clover into the late summer planted cover crop next March may be the best option.

When that new plot is plowed there will be all sorts of weed seeds that has been waiting for a chance to grow. Buckwheat grows faster than many weeds and will help prevent your plot from becoming overrun with weeds and at the same time, add lots of organic matter to your soil, improving soil quality and moisture holding abilities the clover will need.

Just my $.02. Some of these other fellas could have additional and better ideas.