HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help buying a Rangefinder
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Cut'em Jack
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
what do you wanna range with them and how far? my first rangefinder was a bushnell 600, I never ranged a soft target (anything with hair on it that absorbs alot of the lazer instead of reflecting it) beyond 300 yards. you can use point blank range zero for almost all stooting to 300 yards and holdover to 400. the best thing that ever happened to me was the day I lost the bushy. If you bowhunt any of them will work for rifle hunting its a whole new game.
RR
Sorry, I kinda got outta whack there....

500 yards for Targets and Deer. That's it. After "getting in the field" I realized that 500 yard is out there (at least for me). I can't see wanting to go further than that with a typical factory hunting set up anyway, at least for now....

I'm looking at a few rigs now, either 270 or 7mmMag. I don't reload, so I'd like to take advantage of calibers with the most offerings out there. I wouldn't mind a 7MM-08, but it doesn't seem to have the offerings that the 270 does. Same goes for the Short Mags.

Anyway, since long range shooting is new for me, I plan to take some time to develop skills to be proficient. Not that I plan to run out and try it in a hunting situation any time soon. Any suggestions for tips, while I'm at it??