HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weatherby too heavy?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Kosherboy
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Droptine
I recently brought a .270 Weatherby mag deluxe. I love it except its heavy. Difficult for me to hold still while taking those standing shots. I thought about buying a shooting stick but wonder if I want to also carry that around. I used my other gun (Browning A-Bolt stainless in a .280) for years and love it although I do not like the safety system (load & unload with gun on fire). I am planning on doing an elk hunt in 2 years so that's why I decided to get the Weatherby. I am now thinking about possibly selling the Weatherby Deluxe and either buying a Browning X-Bolt or a Weatherby Accumark in the 7mm calibers. The Accumark is about double the price of the Browning but is it worth it?

It is my understanding that some of the shots for elk where we will hunt can be 300+ yards. Might even come across a 400 to 500 yard shot. What gun/caliber would you recommend? Maybe just keep the Weatherby. I don't know.

Does anyone else think the Weatherby is too heavy? I know practice is extremely important. Too bad that Weatherby ammo is so expensive.

Thanks.
If The W. 270 is too heavy why would you go to 7MM ?, in any brand it would be even heavier, I own several Weatherbies, and I shoot of hand , I'm 60 Years old , I have no problem holding it steady, my advice is get someone to train you personally on shooting techniques.
This is not something new my oldest son has being hunting with me since he was 10 recently he missed a bunch of deer off hand, I then realized when I saw him shooting he does not hold the rifle correctly or use the proper breathing techniques when he is shooting off hand, all his life he is being hunting in stands with rifle rests.

So we went to the shooting range and put him through shooting in all positions, kneeling, flat on stomach, leaning against a post, side shooting all off hand, it took about 2 boxes of ammo until he started hitting the target good.
He probably missed 8 deers this year off hand.
He uses a Weatherby .270.