HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington Genesis
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 02:20 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have mixed feelings on this. I have one I got at Cabela's on sale little over a year ago. It's the camo stock and blued barrel. I wish I had gotten the stainless barrel but the only one they still had in stainless was the one with the thumb hole stock which I didn't want. I paid right around $100 after coupons and rebates. I think for $100 it was a pretty good purchase. However, I'm not sure that I would pay much more than that. I think for the price you listed I'd probably buy something else.

When I first got mine I was a little disapointed. I hardly used it and it rode in the truck with me probably 3 or 4 times. It was barely used and not at all abuse. I noticed it had a couple scratches in the bluing already. I don't mean like light scratches I mean deep ones you could see where it had scratched through the bluing. I then noticed there were a few tiny and I mean tiny knicks where the came had chipped off the stock. I had read about the finish especially the bluing coming off very easily but hadn't paid much attention that the reviews of that since it was only $100. I did find it to be pretty cheap though. I ended up just putting it up in house for a while. When time came to hunt with it I went and sighted it in using 295 Grain Powerbelt Hollow Points and 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. It shot very well and I really enjoyed shooting it. I end up using it as my hunting gun during muzzle loading season. The last few days of the season I let a friend borrow it as his scope had gone bad on his muzzle loader. I think he really liked it also as he tried to buy it from me and told me how much he liked it. After using it to hunt with my opinion greatly improved of it. It just was a great feeling gun, fit me well, and handled well. It seemed to also shoot very well. My biggest complaint about it for hunting was that the ram rod being a 2 piece one took a while to reload as you had to unscrew it then rescrew it back together. I found that if I took it out and left it assembled in the tree stand it was a lot faster to reload although I never needed to use it again while in the stand. However, that was only a minor complaint and most guns I've seen seem to have 2 piece rods.

Anyway, after for a week during the season I loaded it and never had a chance to shoot it so I just left it loaded for the week. I finally got around to just unloading it about a week later and it seemed like it had some rust in it. Ever since then patches just come out with a little bit of brown on it. I think I got most of it out. Looking down the barrel I can't see any and I got the patches coming out pretty clean. I took it to shoot to see if it still shot well after what appeared to have been some rust in it. It still shot great.

I will say after using it a decent bit during hunting season then letting a friend use it at the end of the season it had a few scratches in the bluing but nothing much and it held up a lot better than I thought it would. Didn't look bad at all after the season.

I also really like the fiber optic open sights. After seeing how well I liked the gun when hunting with it and how well it fit me I wish I had gotten more than one when I got it since they were such a good price.

I actually just shot it some more the other week. I changed to some Federal Fusion bullets and had to adjust the scope as they shot a little differently. It seemed to shoot these even better than the Powerbelts accuracy wise. I really enjoy shooting this rifle.

Overall, I don't think it's the best quality rifle out there especially not the quality of the bluing. However, for $100 I think it's great. Other than the quality of the bluing I really like it. That's the only thing holding it back from being an amazing gun in my opinion. It was also $100 like I said so I can't complain too much.

Overall I'd rate it a 7 or 8 out of 10 I think. I really like it and for $100 I love it but I think once you get in the $250 range or so you could probably find something else that's a little better quality.

The stainless barrel might would fix the problem of having crappy bluing too. I'm not sure how the quality of it is. I think if I got another I'd try the stainless.